Clueless is a brilliant film. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: I don’t know WHY anyone likes Mean Girls which is so mean-spirited and downright boring when you could like Clueless – which is sweetly exuberant, genuinely funny, totally fast-paced and….oh, it’s just actually, actually, ACTUALLY enjoyable. Everybody who hasn’t rewatched in in the past ten years and all the people who have never seen it (weirdos) need to watch it RIGHT NOW (also get help). It’s great. But here are some thoughts you guys need to start thinking about:
- You get a bit sad rewatching Clueless It’s sad watching Clueless. Brittany Murphy does such a perfect job as Tai and she is so curvy and awkward and gorgeous. And you know she’s going to get all skinny for the Eminem film and then die. It makes me sad. Seeing her face so full and her wonky smile and aw. She’s just lovely. It makes me even sadder knowing that Stacy Dash is going to become a weird Sarah Palin/Ann Coulter wannabe. She has such a lovely raspy voice and now she uses it to spout bullshit. This sadness almost ruins the film, but just like putting H-Milch on Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, it’s basically impossible to spoil something this perfect
- Clueless is better than Mean Girls in every way possible It’s more feminist (what was so feminist about Mean Girls? I don’t get it. It’s all like „don’t judge other girls for being sluts, you sluts!“-kind of feminist) and it’s nicer racially (am not going to say anything silly about it being racially aware or anything, although there are moments of clarity) and it’s funnier, which is, of course, the most important thing. There are some great one liners – my plastic surgeon has told me not to indulge in any activities where balls fly at my nose – well there goes your social life – and there’s a joy to it which you can’t imagine now. Cher LOVES life. She loves her life. She doesn’t hate being a teenager
- Cher is a genuinely nice person I actually rewatched Clueless TWICE this week (I know, hobbylos, but I kept on getting distracted by my baby – annoying baby! – and so then I’d missed so many of my favourite scenes that I just hit play again during his nap) and what I noticed was that Cher is a genuinely nice person. Clueless is based on Jane Austen’s Emma but I can’t help thinking that Cher is slightly nicer than Emma, who is actually pretty snobby and boring. Anyway, rewatching Clueless reminded me of Rachel from Friends, which is also something I rewatch too often. Back in the 90s, we were prepared for the pretty, popular girls – Rachel and Cher are both basically the most popular and prettiest girls in their High Schools – to be nice, albeit maybe slightly selfish, people. Nowadays, and I wonder if this is influenced by pornography, the pretty, popular girls are always basically evil and they always need to be punished and humiliated in some way. But Cher is good, she has a good heart, her fault is that she is shallow and superficial, but it’s a folly, not a sin. She makes mistakes, she learns from them. There’s not much humiliation involved. It seems to me like modern teen comedies demonize the pretty, popular, teenage girls as shallow, superficial – but also cruel – and importantly, so cruel that we don’t need to empathize with them in any way whatsoever. It probably has nothing to do with porn, but everything to do with 9/11 or something, I dunno, and in a thousand years‘ time it will all become clear and this blog will be quoted by aliens and stuff
- Cher is really not that skinny, is she? Cher is really not that skinny at all, is she? I mean, she’s gorgeous, but I think nowadays a teenager who is meant to be THAT gorgeous and attractive would be played by an actress about ten kilos lighter
- Is it weird that Josh and Cher are stepbrother and stepsister? I AM NOT SAYING IT IS WEIRD. I am asking. I’m just asking questions here! Is it weird? Is it a bit weird? It’s a bit weird, isn’t it? Okay his mum was only married to her dad for five months seven years ago (or whatever) but still. Also how old is he? In real life, I totally think a 19 year old can go out with a 16 year old but I don’t think they’d make a film about it nowadays. People would worry too much about whether they’re fucking or not. WHATEVER!
- IT’S ON NETFLIX, GO WATCH IT NOW