Da in der Wahrnehmung Gitarrenmusik dieser Tage recht danieder liegt, sind eine Band wie The Districts schon eine besondere Erwähnung wert: 1. blutjung, 2. ganztollfrisch, 3. konsensual abgefeiert, 4. tatsächlich über der Wahrnehmungsschwelle hörbar!
Das Debüt der Districts vereint die Gitarrenmusik der letzten 15 Jahre: wir finden die garagenräudigen Elemente der Kings Of Leon ebenso wieder wie den Blues der Black Keys und White Stripes – aber auch die Neo-Folk-Knee-Ups der frühen Mumford & Sons (die, wir wollen es nicht ganz vergessen, nicht von Beginn an fürchterlich waren). Ein gutes Album, das seinen besten Track gleich zu Beginn verfeuert:
* Your three favourite Punk singles/songs?
– love comes in spurts by Richard hell
– waiting room by fugazi
– upon viewing bruegels landscape with the fall of Icarus by titus andronicus
* A record that will make you dance?
The Strange Boys and Girls Club album will get your feet moving!
* Your favourite song lyrics?
Pretty much all the lyrics to Whalebones by Man Man
* The best “new” artist / band right now?
The self titled album by Vietcong is really cool!
They have really interesting guitar parts that get really dissonant at times but they still have really get hooks too. Also a lot of the lyrics paint a picture of a dystopian future which is really cool.
* Your favourite song about rebellion/revolution?
Mladic by Godspeed you black emperor, they’re a very political band and I’m pretty sure the song’s named after the Butcher of Bosnia who was put on trial for war crimes around the time the album came out. At the end of the song there’s a recording of a protest in Montreal where people are banging on pots and pans.
* Fleet Foxes, Mumford & Sons or White Stripes – which one do you prefer and why?
The White Stripes. Their music just seems a lot more real to me than the other two. The songs are better and they’re more badass.
* Your favourite song last year?
abundant living by Iceage
* Your favourite movie about music?
Probably the last waltz. I remember my parents paying that movie all the time when I was growing up and it’s just an amazing concert film.
* The most overrated band/artist?
Pretty much anything pitchfork picks as best new artist haha just kidding, kind of.
* The best song you’ve ever written / recorded?
Este verde by me Braden and robs surf rock side project viva la agua!!
* Your favourite german song/record?
Vitamin c by can
* Your favourite record of all time?
That’s a hard one. Mine changes every now and then but one that comes to mind is blue valentine by Tom waits. He was one of the first songwriters that we all bonded with as a band. He has so many different phases as a musician but on this one he has this creepy dark jazz thing going on. It’s the perfect album to drive around at night to. Red shoes by the drug store has this amazing feel and flow to it, almost like its being made up on the spot. Tom waits really opened my mind to a lot of strange and different types of music.
(Antworten: Connor Jacobus)
Das Debütalbum der Districts, „A Flourish And A Spoil“, ist Anfang Februar erschienen.
* 19.-21.06. Scheeßel – Hurricane Festival
* 19.-21.06. Neuhausen ob Eck – Southside Festival
* 17.-19.07. Ferropolis – Melt! Festival
* 13.-15.08. Rees-Haldern – Haldern Pop Festival